Thursday, May 22, 2008
Posts 5 and 6 done on 5/22.
On Thursday, 5/22 I decided to combine two reports on the same day. I wanted to observe a change in time that was less than 24 hours so that I could see if any alterations were made in the habitat or community during a controlled time span. This would also allow me to veiw my observation site later than in my previous posts. My first observation was done at around 4:05 PMwhen the sky was cloudy and raining much as it had been for most of the day. The swan community was spread out in small groups of mabye 6 or 7 lazely swimming around in the pond. Nine geese were on land around or at the feeding stations and only 7 remained in the other side. The trees have started to flourish due in no small part to the increased precipitation and hotter sunny days. I departed from my site and returned a short time later at around 9:14 PM. It was beginning to darken and was darker than normal because the skies were still very much cloudy. The swan were now congregating to the shores and the feeding station I would imagine to rest for the night. The geese were mostly on the other pond exept for 3 resting on the wooden plank floating closest to the nearest shore. Across the road I also noticed several elk grazing about 20ft from the fence. This experiment showed me the seperation in the feeding times of the swan and geese communities. I would say not much competition is in place either intraspecific, or interspecific to the two species because of the abundance of provided food and shelter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great idea to see the differences in the community between the afternoon and early evening. The observation that the two different bird populations feed at different time, lowering the interspecific competition. Continue to look for details in your observation area, maybe focusing more on the biodiveristy of the different flora in the area that allows for the community of birds and elk to thrive there.
Post a Comment